2026 Summer adventure #3 Genealogy Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana

 This is a different kind of adventure, and I decided to share it because the Allen County Genealogy Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana, is one of the best-kept secrets in the Midwest.  I first discovered this library last year.  It is the second-largest genealogy collection after Salt Lake City, Utah.  I haven't been to Utah and can't even imagine what it would be like.  I was so overwhelmed last year; it was better this year.  They have shelves of books that have counties from each state. Just find the state you're looking for and then the county.  There is a section about wars and published family histories. They also have computers, or you can bring your own, microfilm, the vivid pix station, and copying machines. You may also go to their website to access many collections of information for free.

When you go, it is best to have a plan to make the most of your time, even though most days they are open 9:00 to 9:00. Please check their website before going, as it not only has their business hours but also many other helpful resources.  

When I arrived in Fort Wayne, I dropped my things off at my Airbnb and then went down to the library.  I spent a good three hours working at the Vivid Pix station.  This station is awesome for restoring photos and documents.  My great-grandma VanWinkle had many notebooks that you might say are like journals.  So I decided to scan them, and I did get three of the books done.  You just save the information to a flash drive.  

The next day would be a full day.   It was a 10-hour day with a lunch break.   I pulled books from counties in Virginia and some in Arkansas, as well as Civil War books.  I had a full cart.  Once I had those materials, it was time to start looking through each book.  I learned last year that Post-it notes were very helpful.  If I found something useful, I wrote down the pages and stuck the Post-it to the outside of the book.  After I had gone through multiple books, I would then go make copies of what I needed.  You can pay 10 cents a copy or save on a flash drive.  I usually pay for the copy because then I can write on the back what the source was.  

They don't allow any food or drink in the Genealogy section of the library.  You can eat lunch out in the common area of the library.  This year, though, I found a great place only a block away in Cindy's Diner.  The diner is in an old box car, so you sit at the counter or outside. I had a cheeseburger and fries, and let me just say that was the best cheeseburger I have had in a long time. The next day, before I left, I had a grilled cheese and chili.  It really hit the spot as well. They are only open until 2:00, so plan accordingly.

After my 10-hour day of research, I found a stopping point and would wrap everything up by noon the next day to make the trip home. Interestingly, I found some information about the line I was working on, but I might also have found information about a different family line.

I look forward to returning again to continue my research of the many branches of my family tree. No matter what level of genealogist you are, the Allen County Genealogy Library is a great resource.

Some helpful tips: 

Post-it notes

Pens/Pencils/highlighters 

a notebook

a flash drive

a plan for your research

Ask the workers for a tour, and if you need help

Set up an appointment prior to your trip (I did this last year, and it was interesting)

You can leave books to research on the table with a note to save and your name.  The items will be there when you return.

No food or drink.

Ask for a library card to put money on for making copies.

Most importantly, have fun and enjoy the process.

 My cart of books. (There were more on it.)
 Best cheeseburger 







Comments