Book Adventure- A different kind of adventure

 Sometimes you are not able to go on an adventure. When this happens there is a way around it and it is a book.  This past year and a half I have found many adventures just by reading a book.  They also can open your mind to new adventures when we are not in the middle of a pandemic.  Here is one such adventure that I wasn’t expecting to go on.

Parnassus Books is located in Green Hills near Fleet Feet so needless to say I have been in that area many times especially when training for a ½ marathon.  Parnassus has events where authors come and speak about their latest books. There were some times that I wanted to go especially right after I moved back to Illinois and they were having Deena Kastor there to talk about her book “Let Your Mind Run”.  So this time when I was visiting I had some time and was in the area and decided to stop in.  It is a super nice store and I decided to take a look at books by local authors.  I found a book “The Spirit of Music” written by Victor L. Wooten.  As I read the cover notes I realized that he had written another book “The Music Lesson” prior to “The Spirit of Music”.  I didn’t see “The Music Lesson” on the shelf so I asked one of the staff members and she located it for me.  I decided to read “The Music Lesson” first and it has been a delight.  It is a lesson about life through music. The story took place in Nashville and I enjoyed knowing the places that were mentioned.  I especially enjoyed the chapter about listening, it really made me think about how I listen and what silence can tell you. Also the idea about not overthinking things really resonated with me. I have played the banjo several years ago and maybe I needed this book then, but I think I can apply some of the ideas to my life even without playing an instrument.  

As I read the following paragraph in the chapter about Emotion I couldn’t believe how I have unfortunately witnessed this. “Michael continued, “A politician is not allowed to get too emotional in public, so what he does is drop subtle hints that, over time, cause the public to get emotional. Once the same emotions are generated by enough people, the politician can use it to steer the public in his desired direction.  Fear is an emotion that is often used in this way.  A smart politician knows that if he can create fear in enough people, those people will give up what they truly want in order to give the politician what he says they need.”  


 As I was reading I thought I should have gone ahead and bought “The Spirit of Music”.   So with some of my Christmas money I bought “The Spirit of Music”, I look forward to reading it. I am curious if the adventure continues or if it is a totally new adventure.


The other thing that was kind of ironic, I realized that I had seen Victor L. Wooten at 3rd and Lindsley sometime around 2007.  That was the first time I went to 3rd and Lindsley and the Wooten Brothers were playing.  It is so strange how things happen, but I do believe they happen for a reason. 


So when in Nashville make sure you take some time and go to Parnassus Books it will be worth your time.  Find a book by your favorite author or check out one of the many talented local authors and go on a different kind of adventure.





Comments