Coconut Cake

 

This adventure was from 2019 while I was at the AAU Junior Olympics in Greensboro, North Carolina.  After the first day of the  track meet Mom, Dad and I went to the Coliseum Country Cafe. It was a block away from the parking at the Coliseum.  You could get sandwiches, burgers, and meat and 2 sides.  I had chicken strips with fried okra and a 7 layer salad.  I also had fried pimento cheese cornbread. It was really good.  (Basically it is a cornmeal pancake.)  Mom had a freshly made burger and Dad had bean soup and a BLT.  All the food was delicious.  They had desserts that looked so yummy but really didn’t need desert.  A few of the desserts were peach cobbler, smore cake, coconut cake and more. I was full but really wanted some coconut cake.  There was a pan full of okra and a couple full of tomatoes in a booth in the back.  Yet, another sign that the food was fresh.  

So this place was so good the next day after the track meet we stopped in again. I had snacked some at the track meet so I had a BLT with fresh tomatoes.  There was no coconut cake, insert sad face.  They still had the smore, some pies, blackberry and strawberry cobbler. They had two new cakes, a coconut cream cake and chocolate fudge.  I had the chocolate fudge cake and it was delicious.  I was still bummed they were out of the coconut cake.  The waitress/owner said it was their mom’s recipe.


When Friday came it would be our last day in North Carolina and the last day at the track.  We didn’t need to be at the track until around noon and would be there most of the afternoon.  So we decided why not go to our favorite place in Greensboro.  They were only serving breakfast for about 5 more minutes.  Dad decided to have breakfast, Mom and I decided to have lunch.  Dad had a breakfast special: 2 banana pancakes and 2 eggs.  The pancakes were huge with the bananas cooked in.  Mom and I both had the August special BLT and choice of 2 sides.  She had fries and macaroni salad.  I had sliced tomatoes and cheese grits.  Why not go for more tomatoes when you know they are fresh, and confirmed by the waitress who said that they were from a customer.  The cheese grits were great and the way they should be with the cheese throughout not sprinkles of shredded cheese on top.  While waiting for lunch, I checked the desserts but no coconut cake, so I decided I would try the blackberry cobbler.  The blackberry cobbler was delicious and I no sooner downed it when  one of the owners walked in with you guessed it  coconut cake.  I was stuffed and didn’t need another dessert.  So I ordered it to go.  Let me tell you that cake was delicious and worth the wait.  I joke that I almost tackled the lady when she brought that cake in.  

 Just FYI they only take cash, no debit or credit cards. 









Comments