The Panini vs toasted Sandwich

So the only time I remember having a Panini is at Panera.  I admit it had been a while since I had eaten at a Panera since I moved and there isn't one just down the street. So last month after an appointment I decided I would stop at Panera in Moline and I was really wanting a nice warm turkey Panini.  So I walked in looked at the menu and all I see are cold and toasted sandwiches.  I said to the girl you don't have Paninis anymore.  She replied you can get toasted it's the same thing.  I was skeptical and then I said I was wanting turkey and it is only cold.  Oh, you can get any sandwich toasted, she said.  I couldn't resist and decided to go with the bacon turkey bravo sandwich and get it toasted.  It was just that toasted bread.  I was so disappointed.  It was an ok sandwich at best and was not even close to a panini.  I could have gone home and toasted a slice of bread.
So I googled what is a panini sandwich.  It seems it starts with the bread no surprise it is not toasted wheat bread!  The most common bread mentioned were focaccia, ciabatta or whole-grain baguette.  The other key is to put the sandwich in a panini press or pan then press down with lid for a total of about 6 minutes.  You should flip the sandwich halfway through cooking. So I guess I could make my own and could have even asked for a panini press for Christmas.  Then I could have a panini whenever I wanted.
Thankfully I have no desire to make my own panini sandwiches.  This way it is a treat and that is what happened today.  I met Val,  a friend, and a former coworker for lunch.  She had mentioned Jason's Deli as an option earlier in the week.  I had never been to a Jason's Deli so I decided to check out the menu online. They have a wide variety of sandwiches, soups, and salads.  I noticed they had a turkey panini.  So we did end up at Jason's Deli and I order a half turkey panini and salad bar.  The panini was delicious and everything on the salad bar was very fresh.   I'm glad Val suggested Jason's Deli and that we did go.  It was delicious and I would go again.  They have good food and it was a nice atmosphere to visit and catch up.  Here is the link to the menu https://www.jasonsdeli.com/menu
and restaurant locator https://www.jasonsdeli.com/restaurants

Comments