Chicago Adventure 2017

Even the best-laid plans can be hit with a curveball.  Since I was going to stay downtown I wanted to catch the train in Carbondale, Illinois at 3:15am and arrive in Chicago around 9am with a full day of adventure, because Saturday is tailgating and football Iowa vs Northwestern.  Go Hawks!
I like riding the train because you can sleep, relax, read, or work on the computer. It’s also cheap especially if you get the ticket a few months ahead of time.  Also, you don’t have to pay high parking rates in Chicago or fight the traffic.  Parking max for 5 days is $12.75 at the train station.
So prior to leaving I checked the train status and it was an hour late so I took a nap and left somewhere around 10:30 pm for Carbondale (3 ½ hour drive).  I stopped in Calvert City Kentucky to stretch and the train was now two hours late.  I get to Carbondale and now it is 3 hours late.  So it’s time to take a nap in the car.  Mind you it’s one thing to take a 20-30 minute nap in a car but another to try and sleep for a few hours.  It was like taking a peek into the life of a homeless person living in their car.  Let me tell you I’m 5’ 8” and that Honda Civic just isn’t big enough to really stretch your legs.  Just imagine doing this night after night.  Homeless people have to be some of the most resilient people in this world.
When the train arrived it was 3 hours 45 minutes late.  It was being pulled by a freight engine which isn’t the norm. Like always I meet interesting people that just start talking which is fine by me as I have met some great friends that way.  This young man was a student at Southern Illinois and going home to Chicago to be with his twin sister as she has her first baby.  He said she had been in labor for 10 hours and hopes to get there before she delivers.  He was very excited about being an uncle for the first time.  He had a skateboard and I could just imagine him teaching his niece/nephew how to ride one.
Time to get some sleep and I did get about 3 hours.  Shortly after waking the conductors came through with snacks and a bottle of water for everyone.  This is not usual practice but a good pr move since by then we should have been in Chicago without delays.  Someone asked the conductor what caused the delay and he said somewhere prior to Carbondale the engine had an electrical issue and that is why the freight engine was pulling the train.  Just an FYI Amtrak delays are also due to freight train traffic as they have the right of way.
I was really looking forward to trying a place with lots of history for breakfast (Lou Mitchell’s) on the original Route 66.  That will have to be another trip.  Normally I try not to buy food and drink on the train but this situation it made sense to do so.  I have made the trip to the food car before but this time it became an adventure in itself. My seat was in the very last car and I had to go through 2 other cars and a surprise I’m in an observation car, which I had never been in before.  When I reached the food car, there was the young man I had talked with prior to boarding the train.  I asked if his sister had the baby yet, he said no.  We joked that even though that was good for him she might not think so.  I ate my breakfast and decided to hang out in the observation car.  It has been a relaxing change of scenery.
As the train was backing into Union station that young man said hey I have a nephew my Mom is picking me up and I’m going to see him.  I congratulated him and told him now you will have to teach him to skateboard. His face lit up and he agreed.
Let the Chicago adventure begin!  After dropping off my bags at the hotel it was time for lunch.  I decided to carry out otherwise it was a 30-minute wait to be seated at Giordano’s.  They have a great lunch special individual deep dish with a side for $9.95.  They must have them close to cooked because it was ready in 10 minutes.  It was delicious and filling.
Next stop 360 Chicago.  I purchased my tickets online, which I recommend as you get an online discount and avoid the ticket purchasing line.  I had the sun and stars ticket, which is two visits within 48 hours,  plus a tilt ticket.  It was a clear day so you could see a long distance.  The tilt is like a ride that you get on a platform and are tilted out over the City to the south.  It was a scary kind of fun.  The tilt probably lasts about 5 minutes, while waiting in line for the tilt I met a couple from New York the gentleman was originally from Chicago.  We had a nice visit discussing how Chicago and Nashville have changed. The other viewing is up to you how long you look.  I don’t know how long I spent but really enjoyed the view.  Even though you know the city is huge this view puts it in perspective.
Before I did the shopping I wanted to do I decided to take a trip back in time.  You see my brother and I both have cleft palates and we have had many surgeries as kids at Children’s Memorial Hospital in Chicago.  The hospital is now called Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital.  Although it is a new building on the same site it was interesting to see how it changed.  Like many children’s hospitals, it has murals that make it less hospital-like.  When we were patients I remember it was cold and not kid-friendly. I was impressed with the change and glad I took the time to revisit my past.
After some shopping, it was time for supper. Chicago is not just famous for a deep-dish pizza, but also Italian beef sandwiches.  So I decided to try a place I had noticed on my last visit Luke’s Italian Beef. After some research, I found it is considered one of the best Italian Beef in the city and their French fries were highly recommended.  So I was almost there and a homeless lady approached me and asked if I would buy her a sandwich.  I said, do you mean right here at Luke’s and she said yes.  I said sure I’m going there and she was so happy.  She then said, can I get a slice of pizza, fries and a drink.  I said sure because if I were treating a friend I wouldn’t say only a slice of pizza.  She told me her name was Gina and was from Chicago.  I said, I lived in Nashville and her response was I went to TSU.  She was going to eat there but then asked if she could take her meal to go and I said sure.  I think she was nervous.  The order of fries only came in large and let me tell you it was super-sized and more.  I knew I couldn’t eat that many fries nor did I want that many so I took what I wanted and gave the rest to Gina.  She thanked me and I told her may God bless you.  I never saw her again.  I haven’t done that before but it felt like the right thing to do.
The Italian beef was excellent and the fries were good and tasted like McDonald’s.  The service was good as well. You order at the counter and then pick up your order.  I ate in and it has a diner atmosphere with pictures of Chicago’s past and sports figures.
It was then time to return to 360 Chicago to look at the city at night.  I was in awe when I made it to the 94th floor.  The city looks so different at night and you can really see how expansive the city is with all of the lights.  I found it amazing to see the airplane lights as they were coming in for a landing. The sun and star experience were well worth the small increase in the price of $4. Definitely check the website to determine what your tour interests you and if you want to purchase ahead of time (http://www.360chicago.com/360-chicago-offers/).
After a busy first day in Chicago, I decided it was time to return to the hotel (Freehand), I was tired due to lack of sleep and then checked my phone to find that even with train ride I managed to walk 8.4 miles.  Oh my!
Game Day!  The weather was perfect and the food at the tailgate was delicious.  The game was close as predicted and even went into overtime.  That Iowa missed field goal was the difference in the game, leaving Iowa with a loss.  The most disappointing thing about the game for me was that my favorite player (Josey Jewell) was out with an injury.  If you have never gone to a college football game I would highly recommend that you pick a game and go.  It is a great experience!
When I got back to the hotel I met another lady in my dorm room she was from Zimbabwe.  We had a really nice visit comparing the United States and Zimbabwe.  My take from the conversation is that Zimbabwe is based on traditions much like the United States used to be when families had meals together.  She also talked about how the food they eat is more natural and the food here is full of sugar.  I thought that was interesting since I have been reading the “Zero Sugar Diet by David Zinczenko.  The book discusses how much-added sugar is in our food.  Another lady in the dorm was from Argentina and she came in chatted with us for a bit too.  I then went to eat and was surprised that we had talked for 2 hours.  As I left the hotel I wasn’t sure where to eat and the first place I went to was busy.  So I decided to go down Michigan Avenue and I noticed a sign for Howells and Hood.  There wasn’t a wait and the menu looked good.  I had the pulled pork sandwich with french fries.  The food was delicious and the fries were cooked in olive oil.  They had TV’s with all the football games on, but it was also a nice enough place that there was a wedding reception there too. It is located in the Tribune Tower.  My favorite thing was that they had quotes on the walls about a variety of things.   I would eat at Howells and Hood again and hopefully sit in a different part of the restaurant to read more of the quotes.
As the day came to a close it was time to pack for the morning train ride back to Carbondale.  Some quick notes about Chicago travel.  I usually walk or use the subway once in the city the red line is very easy and convenient to use.  You can purchase a pass for $10 a day.  Sometimes I will use Uber or Lyft if it is cost-effective and the red line won’t get me where I’m going.
The Freehand is a hotel but some of the rooms are dorms like a hostel.  The rooms have 4 bunk beds, a locker for each guest, a small table with a sitting area and a bathroom with a shower.  Each guest gets assigned a bunk and you get a towel. It is probably the most reasonable clean room in town and if you’re not planning to hang out in the room it is a great deal. Last year I had booked 3 months in advance and was paying $50 during the World Series when others were paying well over $100 or couldn’t get a room. They also have a continental breakfast for the guest at a set time like other hotels.
This trip I chose to go to Eggsperience for breakfast both Saturday and Sunday, which is only a couple of blocks from the Freehand Hotel.  They have a wide variety of food for breakfast and lunch.  My meal was 2 eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, and 2 pancakes or toast.  No, I didn’t eat it all but what I did was good and filled me up.  If you like pancakes, crepes, and waffles Eggsperience is for you.

If you go to Chicago I hope you will try some of these places I have experienced.  I know that I would go back to all of them.  I will leave you now with one of the quotes that were on the wall of Howells and Hood.

“It is hopeless for the occasional visitor to try to keep up with Chicago-she outgrows his prophecies faster than he can make them. She is always a novelty; for she is never the Chicago you saw when you passed through the last time.”  Mark Twain








Comments