Bix 7 2021

 If you have lived in the Quad-Cities or in the area you know about the Quad City Times Bix 7 especially if you are a runner.  It has been happening in July every year for 47 years.  It attracts top talent from around the world.  If you follow running you will know these names Joan Benoit Samuelson, Frank Shorter, Bill Rodgers, Meb Keflezighi and many others.  I remember going to the expo once just to meet Joan and Bill.  Many times the race is dominated by Kenyans. It has served as the USA Track and Field National Championship Race for 7 miles on more than one occasion. 

It is televised on KWQC channel 6 locally and rebroadcast throughout the weekend. I have watched it on TV many times.  Years ago my friend Sally and I decided we would go to watch the race.  We found a place on Kirkwood Blvd. and I kid you not the gun went off for the start and there was a downpour.  So we sat in our lawn chairs and watched the race.  Until this year I haven’t been back to watch the race in person but since my brother Jeff and nieces Josie and Esther were running I decided to watch. There were over 9,000 people registered this year.  I positioned myself at Brady Street and 6th street.  Let me tell you at the start it was just a sea of people and it would be a pure chance to see anyone you knew in the race unless you planned it out ahead of time. It took 10 minutes for the sea of people to get past me.  It was interesting that after the pack of people a few stragglers were still coming up the hill. Maybe that happens in all races but I’m usually participating so I would have no idea. 

For those who are not from the area this is a very hilly tough course and you want to train for it.  The start is up Brady Street Hill which is extremely steep and long.  Then you turn  onto Kirkwood Blvd. which is a long gradual downhill once you reach the bottom at the turn around then you have to make the long gradual incline up that hill.  Once you turn back on Brady Street then you have to go down that huge hill and then finish on the flat of 4th Street. The Quick Bix is a two mile route that you start with the other runners and then turn onto 15th and then back down the hill on Perry St. and then finishing on 4th Street, too. Click to get a visual of the course and the official website.

I stayed where I was to watch as the runners as they returned to the finish.  I could hear the announcer calling the race which was nice. Jeff and the girls did great and all finished under 1 hour.  I would be out there at least 2 hours I think.  Josie finished in the top 100 of the females.  I enjoyed watching it and for those that want to stay in town they have a street festival/block parties in downtown Davenport. The actual Jazz festival is a different weekend but I heard they might be moving it back to the same weekend as the race.

I think I will train for this and consider doing it in 3 years when it will be the 50th anniversary and I will be 60.  I think that would be kind of cool.  I might even think about doing the Quick Bix next year.  So if anyone wants to do the Bix 7 or watch the race in 3 years let me know.  It will be an adventure for sure, but make sure you train as this is not a race to just sign up with out training.  If you are interested in more of the history and who previous winners of the race are check out this website. Until then, happy running!!!

The start on Brady!

 









The finish is near!




Comments