April 2018 Running and Bourbon Adventure Day 3 part 2

Originally posted July 3, 2018.
After a shower and some stretching, it is time to take on some adventure of a different kind in Louisville.  I will continue with my bourbon trail tours that I started last year.  However, as anyone knows who has run for any long distance you must continue to hydrate and eat to replenish the nutrients that were used in the race.  The first stop is lunch at Grind-Burger-Kitchen (https://www.grindburgerkitchen.com/) in downtown Louisville in the Nulu district.  They have a selection of burgers, sandwiches and salad options. The burgers and sandwiches come with a choice of hand-cut fries, kale salad or brown butter brussels sprouts. There is a build your own option for the burger, but I decided on the B & B (which had brie cheese, bacon, and habanero jam) and hand-cut fries.  Wow was it delicious!  The cheese, bacon, and jam were a great combination and it’s a good thing the menu said no substitutions because I would have left the jam off.  One thing that I have found most restaurants do not want to combine ingredients that will be gross, so unless your extremely opposed to an ingredient or allergic go with what they have.  The hand-cut fries were delicious on their own so therefore passed my no ketchup test. I did look at the menu ahead of time online so I kind of knew what I was going to order.  They have been on Diner’s Drive-Inns and Dives and as I have said before Guy hasn’t let me down.  You place your order at the counter and they give you a number to put on your table.  I thought the service was good and the food was delivered to the table in a timely manner.  I would recommend the Grind Burger Kitchen for sure.
Now it is time for the first of two bourbon tours.  I selected the Evan Williams Speakeasy Tasting Experience.  All the distilleries on the bourbon trail have different tour options, to give some variety I guess to the tours. They offer the traditional tour and tasting, speakeasy tasting experience and sweet and neat.  I thought this speakeasy tasting would be interesting.  At the start of the tour, one of the guests knocked on a vault-like door and asked for Jake.  So, the gentleman inside welcomed all of us as friends of Jake.  We each took a seat at the circular bar, then the gentleman started talking about the end of prohibition in the 1930’s and bourbon heritage. He had us try a rye whiskey from the northeast, no I didn’t like it.  Then we tried Evan Williams which was better and then tried another.    Then we tried Evan Williams #12 which was my favorite, of course, it was $100.  I am noticing that the more expensive the bourbon the smoother and better-tasting it is. I enjoyed this tour as it was about the tasting and the history of the early years in the bourbon industry.  The Evan Williams Bourbon Experience is in the Museum Row district in downtown Louisville.  The tour was $20.00, and I highly recommend making reservations in advance online (http://evanwilliams.com/visit.php), because they were busy, and this tour was full.  I would love to go back sometime and try the Sweet and Neat tour.  Now time for a break and then off to the next tour at Angel’s Envy.  That will be in a post for next week.

Comments