Burger Up

Originally posted Since moving to Nashville I have tried several Burger places.  No one would ever have said I would be all about finding burger places, but it is a nice change from the southern food.  Also, for as long as I can remember when we went out to eat as a family my Dad would always know if a place was good or not based on the burger they served.  So today I decided to go to Burger Up in the 12 South neighborhood.  I had been a few times before, but it had been a while, so I wanted a fresh perspective before writing this post.
I got there just at the right time as I didn’t have to wait to be seated.  I had the choice of a seat at a community table, the bar or the window bar.  I chose the window bar seat as I wasn’t there for a drink and I’m just not into those community tables.  (Which is rather funny because when I am out I talk to people I don’t know, but that community tables no thanks.)  Anyway, having a window seat is a good excuse to people watch.
Burger Up sources their menu from local farms and the beef is sourced from Triple L Ranch in Franklin, Tennessee.  They opened in 2010 and since have opened another location in East Nashville in the Five Points area and Josephine in the 12 South neighborhood.
In my past visits, I always had the turkey burger with sweet potato fries. The turkey burger has avocado, caramelized red onions, mayo, romaine lettuce and tomato which makes for a delicious sandwich.  And from what I remember the sweet potato fries were some of the best. This time I decided to try a different burger, so I went with Woodstock and the house fries.   All the burgers are served with house fries but can be substituted at an additional cost.  The Woodstock has Benton’s bacon, Tennessee Sweetwater white cheddar cheese, and Jack Daniel’s maple ketchup.  The Woodstock was just as delicious as I remember the turkey burger being.  All the flavors blended nicely, and the bacon was not over or undercooked.  The house fries were delicious too.  My server Jake brought me their homemade ketchup and aioli sauce.  I tried both just dipping the sandwich and fries in them.  The sauces were good but neither the Woodstock or the house fries needed them.  All the burgers come cooked medium unless otherwise requested.  I had mine medium-well, not a fan of seeing any pink.  They give you plenty of fries, which could be two servings.
When I was eating a gentleman at the bar turned to me and asked which burger I was eating.  I told him it was the Woodstock and that it was very good.  I then asked what he had ordered, and he said the classic.  It looked good and he said it was and couldn’t ask for more.  He had sweet potato fries and said they were good too.  The classic is just that it has lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, yellow cheddar cheese, and yellow mustard. They have other sandwiches salmon, chicken, bison, lamb and quinoa and black bean burger.  There is a good selection of salads and desserts on the menu as well.
The only downside about Burger Up is the entrance.  It is very congested, and it is hard to get in and out when they are busy.  And they were busy within 15 minutes of my arrival.  They do use an app called Nowait that you can put yourself in line prior to coming to the restaurant.  Prior to going there tonight, I checked the nowait app and it said come on in.  When I was eating I checked the nowait app it said 15-25-minute wait and you had the option to get in line.  What a great alternative to reservations that can limit the time spent waiting for your table at the restaurant.
Burger Up is one of the best options in Nashville when you are looking for a delicious fresh burger with sides that are just as delicious.  Until the next adventure.


Comments