Maps, MapQuest or GPS??

 You might be asking yourself what kind of adventure is a map, MapQuest and a GPS.  When I was driving to Tennessee this idea popped into my head about navigation, which is important for adventures.  Who remembers using MapQuest and printing off the route directions?  Let's talk about distracted driving trying to read the directions as you drive. Doesn't every adventure start with directions to guide you to your destination?  

I remember going on vacation as a kid and reading the map.  Let me tell you there is so much information on those road maps.  I remember when the road maps started showing where the rest stops were located.  I was never much for the Rand McNally atlas, sure there are maps of every state but the best information came from those maps you get at the welcome centers.  Another advantage of stopping at the welcome center is that you can find more information about added adventures that you didn't know existed until you read the flyers they have available.  How many of you have stopped at a welcome center and left with a bag full of flyers to only go to a couple of the places and then tossing the flyers when you returned home if not before.  

MapQuest came along in 1996 saving time, always up to date and the assist for those who struggle reading a map by giving step by step instructions.  I remember printing pages with the directions for every trip.  There are still some people who use it and print the directions.  I still use it if I don't have my phone nearby with Google maps.  I use it as an opportunity to browse and determine if places are within driving or walking distance in larger cities.  

Then along comes the GPS to change the world of travel.  Some history on GPS, it was first available in 1983 but not useful to the general public as the U.S. military scrambled signals. President Bill Clinton is responsible for ordering that signals no longer be scrambled in 1998.  I remember when my parents first got a GPS device and you had to update it with your computer.  I think they might still have that device.  We have come a long way since 1998.  Now cars have built in GPS navigation systems and smart phones use GPS and who doesn't love Google maps.  

Where would you like to eat? What are you hungry for?  Is there a gas station nearby?  Let me check my phone to see what's in the area. There is a high probability that you have been a part of that conversation or heard someone having that conversation. 

Sometimes the GPS will give you an alternate route when an accident or road construction has traffic backed up.  So helpful.  Sometimes though depending on how you have your program set up you can end up in some crazy situations.  When living in Nashville my parents entered my address with my apartment number not the street number and they were on the correct street but not even near my apartment.  We laugh about it now. 

I really like my GPS (Google maps), but sometimes you also need a map.  On this latest trip to Nashville for instance traffic was backed up on Interstate 24 in Kentucky so I took the first available exit and looked at the map.  Then I started the Google maps up again and took an alternate route. It helped me get around the congestion and then I was on my way.

So all though these items can be used separately I think they work best when used together.  You might add to your adventure or just avoid unwanted slow downs in the trip.  

Reference-

https://www.cnet.com/news/celebrating-10-years-of-gps-for-the-masses/ 


Comments