April 2018 Running and Bourbon Day 3 part 3

Originally posted July 12, 2018.
So, there is time for one more bourbon tour before returning to Nashville.  I booked this tour prior to my trip and I chose the distillery tour at Angel’s Envy (https://www.angelsenvy.com/) which is located in the Nulu district in downtown Louisville.  Angel’s Envy only offers a distillery tour for $20 with 10 person maximum per tour.  Again, I would recommend that you set your tour up prior to your visit.  They do offer two other experiences bottle your own and cocktail craft and the science of good taste.  These are costlier and are only offered at certain times and days.
Some might say the tour was just a typical bourbon distillery tour and, in a way, it was.  However, the tour guide sometimes can make a huge difference.  Russell was very passionate about his bourbon.  One of the things he told us was about how the barrels have become big business.  Angel’s Envy has a deal with a company that makes their barrels.  When Angel’s Envy is done with the barrel they return it to the company which then makes items out of the barrel.  We also got to see the area where you get to bottle your own.  The tour through the distillery was a nice review of the process.  Another fun thing happened on the tour one of the owners came through and said hello.  After the tour was a tasting and Russell did a great job of explaining how to taste the bourbon.  No, you don’t just throw it back like it is a shot, there is more to it and that helps bring out the flavors.  One thing Russell said which I liked was that if someone says you should be tasting certain flavors not to worry if you don’t taste those flavors.  Basically, you might taste different things.  For example, someone might notice a caramel taste and not a hickory taste.  If you do take a tour at Angel’s Envy I sure hope Russell is your tour guide because he knows his bourbon.
If you like bourbon or are just curious I would recommend taking part in all or part of the Kentucky Bourbon Trail.  I started last year on July 4th with Buffalo Trace Distillery, Woodford Reserve, Wild Turkey, and Heaven Hill.  My favorite tour was at Buffalo Trace the tour guide was amazing and his Dad was the person who selected the barrel that would become Blanton’s Bourbon.  At Woodford Reserve, I did the corn to cork tour which was very in-depth.  The tour at Wild Turkey was a basic tour of the distillery. At Heaven Hill, they have 3 tour choices and I selected the Whiskey Connoisseur Experience, which was very different from all the tours I have done.   Now I have 6 left to complete my passport and then you turn it in to get a glass.  Just another way to make the adventure fun.  Keep in mind that Buffalo Trace Distillery is not technically on the bourbon trail and there are other distilleries that are not part of the passport as well.
Now it's time for some ice cream and it’s a couple block walk so I went for it. What're a few more miles?  I ended up with a total of 18 miles on this day, oh the wonders of a smartphone tracking your steps.  I would stay in the Nulu district and check out Louisville Cream (http://www.louisvillecream.com/).  I got a concrete with chocolate ice cream with Oreos and hot fudge.  Yummy!  To be honest it all looked good and I would have loved to try more.  So yes, it was worth the walk and I would recommend Louisville Cream.  That is all for this adventure and I look forward to another someday in Louisville.


Comments