Tiny House adventure #2 Rustica Retreat in Platteville

 If you want a peaceful and private getaway in a tiny home I have the place for you.  Rustica Retreat in Platteville, Wisconsin is just that.  After staying in a tiny house on my trip to Nashville, Tennessee I discovered a whole world of tiny homes on airbnb.  What better way to check out different designs and styles of tiny homes than to travel and stay in them.  I decided that I should take another trip, just a short getaway to explore, write and relax before school started.   So after some internet searching I found the perfect place in the Rustica Retreat.  It is 256 square feet and feels like more.

The Rustica Retreat is less than 5 minutes from downtown Platteville.  The Munz’s built this tiny house and lived in it for a while.  It is so cozy with the bed in a loft and they have hidden stairs.  What I mean by that is the stairs can be hidden during the day as they slide over to the wall.  Another great thing about the stairs is that there is storage on the other side of them.  This tiny house would be comfortable for 2-3 people.  

The living room has some storage and a loveseat recliner instead of a couch. Although this area was smaller than the other tiny house I stayed in, it was comfortable. The thing about tiny homes is that you have to be creative in your storage spaces and decide what is important to you.  

The kitchen was very spacious even when the table was set up.  The table dropped down and was attached to the wall opposite the sink and counter. Under the table was storage for stools to sit on.  The table would sit 3 comfortably.   There was an apartment sized refrigerator and freezer with a storage drawer below it.  They had a toaster oven and a hot plate.  On this particular trip I didn’t fix any of my meals but it would have worked perfectly.  

The bathroom was small  but it was spacious enough with a full shower.  There was storage in the bathroom and a washer/dryer combo.  I didn’t have a need to use it but thought it was a great idea and better than having a stackable washer and dryer taking up storage space.  The toilet was a compost toilet, which I was curious about prior to my stay. If you want to see how they work for yourself check out this website about compost toilets.  I was very impressed by this and so glad I got to try it out.  I did make some notes in my tiny house planning file.  I think this is something that I would consider in my own tiny home.  

In the evening it was beautiful and I sat outside and watched the horse Duke and the donkey.  Jazz the cat would come by hoping to receive some attention.  They had the outside set up with flowers and lighting.  I would definitely recommend the Rustica Retreat and who knows maybe I will visit again.  I hope to have more tiny house adventures in the future. 




Comments