Burger Week 2018

Originally posted July 25, 2018.
And that’s a wrap for another Nashville Scene Burger Week.  For one week at participating restaurants, you can get a specialty burger for $5.00.  The restaurants get creative in combining flavors with a wide variety.  For those who like competition, you can vote on social media to select the best burger in town.  I was out of town for the first two days but made up for it when I came back.  I had gone online to see what specialty burger each location was going to have, and I picked the ones I wanted to try.
So, the adventure began on Wednesday evening at Rosie’s Twin Kegs on Thompson Lane.  Paige and Celeste joined me on this part of the adventure. It is a dive bar and whoa can you smell the smoke in the walls as soon as you walk in.  Yep, a place where people can still smoke.  The burger was called Bacon through to the other side, it had their house-made pimento cheese, whiskey bbq sauce made with Evan Williams, and bacon, on a Charpier’s bun.  It was delicious, and the cheese and sauce had a hint of sweetness.  I would recommend this burger and would eat there again.
On Friday night it was time to go to HiFi Clyde’s in midtown for the guacamole burger it had guac, chipotle aioli, lettuce, tomato, and sliced red onion.  It was good, but the flavors just didn’t blend well for me.  I would go back to Clyde’s and try something else, or maybe have the Strawberry Blonde drink.  I just had water this time but had been there another time for a St. Jude event and had a Strawberry Blonde and it was refreshing.  I went solo for this adventure as I was going to the Idle Hour of Reading.  I will share more about this in another blog post.
Saturday would be a double shot of burgers.  At lunch, I went with Kade to Mill Creek Brewing Company Tap Room in 12 South to try the Smashville Burger.  It was a double stack of smashed patties, smothered in special barrel sauce, American cheese, steamed onions, and house pickles.  Let me tell you this was the most amazing burger I had yet.  They don’t have fries but do have homemade chips and they were good too.  While we were eating the owner came over and asked us how everything was.  We said very well.  He then told us that the patties are made in house with ground chuck and bacon.  He continued that there is nothing worse than having a bacon cheeseburger and on the first bite the strip of bacon comes out and you just eat it on its own.  He also told us they have a chicken sandwich that is made of ground thigh and then breaded. This is a place that I will go back to it was so delicious.  This was also their first week in business.
Although I was stuffed I was able to go to Farm Burger, in the Nations with Celeste for supper.  Time to try the Peach Burger with peach chutney, noble springs goat cheese, and arugula.  We timed it just right after we ordered and were at our table the line was steady and long.  You order at the counter and then find a seat.  We also tried the sweet potato hush puppies and pimento cheese fries.  The hush puppies came with an apple butter dipping sauce.  Yummy especially when they were warm.  The fries were tasty.  The burger was very delicious with a good blend of flavors.
The last day of burger week and after church, it was time for one more burger at Jack Brown’s Burger Joint in Germantown. The Jack on the piggyback a Wagyu beef burger topped with a split and grilled hot dog, pickled jalapenos and American cheddar on a potato bun.  Talk about a cookout in one sandwich.  This was delicious.  I decided to have fries as I thought this would be my last burger for the week.  They have just straight up crinkle fries, which I always like.  They serve them with Jack sauce, which is a mayonnaise base with garlic and onion.  It was good sauce.  They also serve fried Oreos for $1 each, so I decided to try one.  It was good but not really my thing.  Basically, an Oreo in the middle of a donut hole sprinkled with powdered sugar.  The walls were covered with stickers and other things.  On the wall by my table was Challenge with winners names listed for all-time 20 burgers 50 Oreos and for 2018 10 burgers and 50 Oreos.  I asked the waitress if there was a time limit and she said 2 hours.  No, I didn’t accept the challenge.
Later, Celeste asked if I wanted to go to Gordon’s with her, Deanna and Wayne.  I decided to go and when we got there they were closed due to maintenance.  Mind you they had all tried to go there on Monday and Gordon’s was closed.  So next stop Embers in 12 South we had their burger last year and it was one of the best.  Well needless to say we didn’t have it this year as they had run out due to the high demand of burger week.  Next stop Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar for the Vandy Burger.  This is a prime beef burger with fried onion straws, creamy brie and blueberry spread, fried jalapenos on a soft toasted bun.  This was another delicious burger and it was thick.  I was stuffed and glad we decided to give it a try.
I would say it was a successful burger week and some new favorite places to go. My favorite by far was the Smashville Burger.  The Nashville Scene also has a Nashville Originals week, Hot Chicken week and Taco week.  All are fun, but my favorite is the burger week.  So, if you’re planning a trip to Nashville try to make it during one of these weeks and go to https://www.nashvillescene.com/  to find participating restaurants.

Comments