April 2018 Running and Bourbon Adventure Day 2

Originally posted June 2, 2018.
After working half a day, it was time to drive to Louisville, Kentucky.  It is a 3-hour drive which isn’t bad, but as I went I realized with the time difference it would have been better to take a full day off.  Live and learn for the next adventure.  I arrived in Louisville around 6:00 their time and went straight to the expo.  Louisville is in the Eastern time zone and Nashville is in the Central time zone.  Yep, I lost an hour. The expo was located at the Kentucky Exposition Center, which is huge.  There were tons of people there for a variety of events and one that I wasn’t expecting was a balloon glow.  I was glad I got there when I did and found that the Kentucky Derby Festival is a week full of events.  Not only was there going to be the Derby Marathon and Mini Marathon on Saturday there was going to be a hot air balloon race.  The expo was small but spread out to make it appear larger I have no doubt.  I picked up my bib and shirt then looked at the other vendors.  I signed up to win an entry in the Urban Bourbon Half, which is in Louisville in the fall.  I also signed up at the St. Jude Marathon expo on Thursday.  I figured why not increase my odds.  After checking some information with the ladies of the visitor bureau it was time to find the hotel.  By the way, it is always good to check things out with locals even if you have your trip planned.  In my case, the place I was going to eat tonight has two locations and these ladies told me which one was easiest to get to from the hotel.  Since I didn’t sign up for the race super early I wasn’t able to get a good price on a hotel downtown.  I did find a good place though it is The Breckenridge Inn, which is located right off Interstate 264 which loops around Louisville.  I was then only one exit away from Interstate 64 that goes right into downtown Louisville.  This would end up being a 20-30-minute drive.
I quickly unloaded my stuff after checking in to the hotel and then went for supper.  My choice was Momma’s Mustard, Pickles, and BBQ.  I went to the location on Bauer Avenue.  It is a Kansas City-style BBQ for those who are interested. If you go to the website or hopefully go to one of the locations the story of how the restaurant was started is on the back of the menu.  I had just googled for places to eat in Louisville and that is how I found it and the place for lunch tomorrow.  It just so happens that Guy Fieri had previously been there to film Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.  Let me tell you that I looked at the menu online and thought it looked good, but had I realized that Guy had been there I would have had no doubt.  I have been to several places that were featured on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives and all are good food and service.  Oh, sure there are some I liked better than others, but Guy never lets me down. I ordered the grilled cheese with pulled pork with potato salad and slaw on the side.  Anyone that knows me knows I love a grilled cheese plain or adult style. The food was delicious, and the portions were large.  I don’t know how you could leave unsatisfied or hungry from Momma’s Mustard, Pickles, and BBQ.  I hope that I get to go back again sometime soon, my mouth is watering as I write this.  Time to get everything organized for the race and get some rest.  This is a great start to the weekend I will have more later about the race and some bourbon tasting.

Comments